PhD General Examination
IMPORTANT: The General Examination can be scheduled only if: (a) the student has completed 60 credits (some of these credits may be taken the same quarter of the exam); (b) all required program examinations that do not need Graduate School approval have been completed and; (c) all members of the supervisory committee agree that the student's background of study and preparation is sufficient and have approved the student to schedule a General Examination. At least four members of a supervisory committee (including the Chair, Graduate School Representative, and one additional Graduate Faculty member) must be present at the examination. Also, students may not take the General Examination and Final Examination in the same quarter.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCHEDULING YOUR GENERAL EXAM
The General Examination can be scheduled only after the student has met all program requirements except writing the dissertation. Click here for students admitted to the PhD Program before 2012 or click here for students admitted to the PhD Program after 2012 to ensure you have fulfilled the requirements.
- AS SOON AS YOU HAVE A DISSERTATION TOPIC: Form your Ph.D. Supervisory Committee and report members to Ellen.
- At least FOUR WEEKS PRIOR TO EXAM: Contact Tracy Pham (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request Padelford C-301 or contact Ellen (email@example.com) for requesting a room elsewhere on campus.
- At least THREE AND A HALF WEEKS PRIOR TO EXAM: Provide Tracy Pham with the following information for your general exam announcement:
- General Exam Title
- Paper color preference for the flyer
- At least THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO EXAM: Proceed with scheduling the General Exam by filling out the on-line application for the General Exam at the Graduate School website. This action requires the committee members’ approval for date, time and location, and will take prior planning on the part of the student.
- 2-3 WEEKS PRIOR TO EXAM: If any members of the committee will be participating via audio or video conference, student contacts Tracy Pham(firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements for the appropriate equipment.
- Prior to your General Exam, the warrant is generated and given to the Supervisory Committee Chair (unless otherwise requested by the Committee Chair).
- The student's file/record is available to the Committee for the exam.
- AFTER THE EXAM, the Committee Chair (not the student) gives the original, signed warrant to Ellen. (Note: warrants are processed at the department level. Do not send them to the Graduate School.) Be sure the Graduate School Representative (GSR) sends the GSR report directly to the Graduate School.
(Updated September 2013)