- Monday, June 1, 1998
- Richard Karp, Departments of Computer Science and Engineering and Molecular Biotechnology
- "Analysis of a Strategy for Sequencing the Human Genome."
- Thomson 101 at 3:30 P.M.
- Thursday, June 4, 1998
- Final Examination:
- Ying Zhang
- "Estimation for Counting Processes with Incomplete Data."
- Advisor: Jon Wellner
- Communications Building 326 at 3:30 P.M.
- Friday, June 5, 1998
- General Examination:
- Enrica Bellone
- "Hidden Markov Models for Precipitation."
- Advisors: Peter Guttorp and Jim Hughes
- Johnson Hall 123 at 10:00 A.M.
Elizabeth Thompson has been elected as a Fellow to
the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Paul Sampson has been promoted from Research
Associate Professor to Research Professor, effective July 1, 1998.
Judy Zeh has been elected as a Fellow of the
American Statistical Association. She will be formally inducted as a
Fellow at the Joint Statistical Meetings in Dallas, August 9 - 14.
Aaron Gullickson, one of our undergraduates, has
been invited to membership in Phi Beta Kappa by the Washington Alpha
Out of Town:
- Jon Wellner
- 8/18 - 9/6, Prague and Berlin, meetings
- Paul Sampson
- 5/25 - 5/29, 7th Int'l Meeting on Stat. Climate, Whistler, BC
- Elizabeth Thompson
- 6/21 - 6/23, 6th Purdue Symposium
- 6/24 - 6/28, BWF workshop, Berkeley, CA
- 6/28 - 7/1, WNAR meeting, San Diego, CA
- 7/1 - 7/2, PMB short course, Berkeley, CA
- Michael Perlman
- 6/11 - 6/24, 6th Purdue Symposium
- 9/13 - 9/18, HSSS Structural Learning, Turino, Italy
- David Poole
- 5/12 - 6/15, South Africa
- Joel Reynolds
- 6/22 - 6/25, Anchorage, AK
- 7/15 - 7/26, VII Int'l Congress of Ecology, Florence, Italy
- 7/27 - 8/14, vacation